Pastoral care is equally important for our international students. All Northland schools hosting international students are signatories to the New Zealand Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, which ensures we take a holistic approach to the social, emotional and educational wellbeing of all of our students. Every student is well supported within the school environment, and we also ensure every student has a safe, warm home environment with a New Zealand homestay family or with our school boarding facilities.
Most schools organise a ‘Kiwi’ buddy for new international students who will…
- Contact you before arrival via email, facebook, etc.
- Meet you at the airport, with homestay family and Director of International Students.
- Help with orientation and show you around Hargest.
- Swap cell phone numbers and keeps in contact.
- Answer all the questions you are too embarrassed to ask.
- Introduce you in Assembly.
- Introduce you to their friends and include you in their social circle.
- Introduce you to your teachers.
- Meet you in the weekend and include you in social events and activities.
Buddies are there to support you as best they can, while you integrate into our way of life. You can end up best of friends and have lifelong connections.
My homestay family in Whangarei
We are like a real family. We eat, laugh and live together and also sometimes have little discussions; you know just like a real family. I really like and appreciate them.
Greta Fuch, Germany